Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Best of Mexico in Hongdae

(From The Korea Herald, March 22, 2006)
By Tracey Stark

When Hwang Sung-won returned to his native Seoul from studying in Denver - one of America's Mexican-food capitals - and decided to open a restaurant, it was a no-brainer as to what he would offer.

Margarita Mexican Bar and Grill offers the standard Mexican fare of burritos (4,900-5,900 won), fajitas (6,900 won), quesadillas (7,900 won) enchiladas (3,500-6,900 won), nachos and the not-so-Mexican chicken wings.

For the third time this year I sat down amid the cacti and miniature Spanish chandeliers in one of the window seats and tucked into a grilled steak burrito. It's served in a basket and stares up in a come-hither manner. And thither I went, slowly this time, so I could tell you what keeps me coming back.

Enchiladas at Margarita Bar & Grill


The burrito was packed with Spanish rice, beans, lettuce and small bits of seasoned grilled beef. The jalapeno cream cheese and green chili sauce kept it from being bland. I would have liked shredded cheese too, but that's not included.

On the side were tortilla chips, sweet mango salsa and sour cream.

When the burrito was gone, I headed for my dinner companion's plate under the guise of "research." She was eating the crab and shrimp enchiladas, which consisted of flour tortillas stuffed with mixed seafood and cheese sauce, then topped with cheese, enchilada sauce and green chili sauce. Again, delicious.

I admit I have a more-than-healthy appetite when it comes to Mexican food. So when I see a plate of quesadillas stuffed with chicken and cheese my hunger quickens. And at Margarita I've never been disappointed by the quality.

But the portion sizes do disappoint me. The meals don't come with any sides, unless you count the chips that come with the burritos.

The prices, though, make it affordable to get an extra main dish or appetizer for every two people. For under 15,000 won each you and your friends can have a main dish-and-a-half and a Margarita (recommended) or a beer (Corona for only 5,000 won). Nonalcoholic drinks are 2,000 won.

Before I left, Hwang informed me that he's changing the menu and adding a new weapon to his kitchen arsenal: French-trained chef Sim Soon-chul, formerly of the Park Hyatt.

Overall, Margarita is a good "cheap eats" value in the heart of one of Seoul's hippest neighborhoods.

How to get there: From Hongik University subway station (Line No. 2) take exit No. 6, turn left towards Hongdae's shopping and restaurant district, cross the second street and turn right. Walk 100 meters and look for Margarita on a side street to the left.

1 comment:

Gary said...

Hey, thanks for the directions. We went there tonight for dinner. There were only 2 girls working and both of them were cooking and serving. Really understaffed. Portions were very small ...but considering the price is only 4900 for a burrito it's not bad, but still very small. Nothing special I would say.